Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cemetery Statuary

I went to Mt. Wollaston Cemetery this morning. I ran into a guy with a tripod, photographing this statue of an elk (raised by the Quincy Elks). I said "it's nice to know I'm not the only crazy person taking pictures in a cemetery". He laughed (a sure sign of dementia !); I laughed back (an even surer sign of dementia !).






Now we are looking at an impressive piece of masonry. Was he famous ? Or did his family have a lot of money to spend ? What will mine look like ? I have already requested burial in a dumpster, but I don't think my family will comply.


This is a particularly sad story, if you enlarge the photo. Five children. One made it to the age of eight, and he drowned (last name at the bottom). I have never been a parent, but I can't imagine 5 more kids would erase those kind of memories. I guess it really illustrates the differences between the 1850s-60s and today, with our doctors and hospitals.

No comments: